Sunday, March 16, 2008

Etsy feature.. yumiyumi

As mentioned, I plan to do a feature on a favourtite Etsy seller from time to time and I haven't been doing anything exciting to show you. As the other seller was a more comical, less serious type of work I thought I'd feature this wonderful artist - Aline *Yumi* Yamada. She is a fine artist and illustrator originally from Brazil and currently living in Ohio, USA.

One great thing about Etsy is the affordable artwork. Obviously studying art for 3 years, I appreciate having art and having it around, as have my parents often collecting interesting prints from markets while on holidays. Art can often be an expensive thing, but at Etsy you can find an array of great work at very good prices. I guess because there is little cost involved with selling on Etsy, artists can keep there prices low.

Yumi's work is quite interesting, it does have a feminine feel. Most of the works are a "Giclee print of an original illustration done in combination with pencil, ink, watercolor then digitally tweaked". Most of them are 8.5 x 11 inch (although she is happy for queries of any size) and sell for $20US. They also come in different colour combinations, for example,
red pink


or blues and purples

I think there is a definite gum tree influence here...

There is a real delicate feel to this style of her work..








But she also has these more bold designs


yumiyumi has a great series of owls and 'berry monsters', as she calls them. I think they would be great decorating a young girls room, something a bit different..







and she has even more styles in her shop. She has had very successful sales and reached her 1000th sale in early February after only 8 months.

Anyway, enjoy this beautiful art and go buy some if you really like it.


All images are copyright of Aline Yamada and were used here with Aline's permission.

1 comment:

Nikki and Steve said...

Love the first two -- the reds and blues on stark white.

I'm wanting some stuff from Etsy. I love the idea of buying an artist from a site like that rather than some big famous print everyone has.

Check out Walnut Street -- it's a place where rock stars sell their art. I'll link you to the work of Tico Torres -- drummer for Bon Jovi. If only I had a spare 10,000 bucks. Here's the link:

http://www.walnutst.com/cart/category.php?category=29

They are absolutely beautiful.