Sunday, February 24, 2008

Grand Opening...

Presenting...

our new on-line store.....


carlyandleia.etsy.com



For people who haven't heard me preaching the word of Etsy, it is a wonderful on-line store where only handmade, vintage (over 20 years old) and some supplies are sold. Think ebay but with handmade. And it is huge, gaining more and more followers, continually featuring in articles relating to the on-line shopping movement and the huge craft/handmade movement that is occurring globally. There is everything from art, quilting, jewellery, clothing, skincare, the list is endless. It is American based, so all prices are listed in US, but our dollar is pretty strong so only a few dollars different. Most people use paypal for purchasing. It also acts as a learning tool for selling your art/craft, and they encourage mentoring from the more successful sellers. Your shop cost nothing, and each listing is only 20c for 4 months, including all images etc. They do take 3.5% of the selling price. Pretty good deal really.

Carly and I have long been followers, and thought it would be ideal to try and sell some of the works from our recent exhibition. We also plan, depending on the success, to continue making our fabric panels, but try to expand and make new products. At the moment we have 9 items listed and will continue to add more each week.




I thought I would also begin featuring some really talented people from Etsy here weekly. I'm starting today with a store called Kezzaroo, whose tagline is 'taking over the world one felt person at a time'. I made my 2nd etsy purchase from her, when I saw this little felt guy.


I thought this would be perfect for Jon, who is a huge Anchorman fan, and wasn't just another figurine type movie memorabilia, that he already has lots of. Kerrie, who makes them, was wonderful to deal with. She had actually ran out, very close to xmas, and quickly got to sewing me another one. It came in the mail, very quickly from Scotland, with a little badge featuring a photo of her 'Princess Leia' felt plush. She said when she saw my name she had to give it to me. There was also a cute note and an extra little badge and business card promoting a friends site.
She does other weird and wackie felt people... a few other crafts do..


Axel Rose, Mr T and and Paul from KISS
(featured in her store at the moment)

I guess unlike ebay, people on Etsy are selling their art and therefore aren't out to 'make a buck' moreso make a living from something they enjoy doing. I hope when you are all there visiting our site (he he), you take a moment to have a look around...

1 comment:

kazy2004 said...

Hey Leia (and Carly).
congrats on your launch, very exciting. I loved your tag, hehe. and the little man is very cute.

Chat soon
Love karen

P.S for you rpre planning purposes, H party will be 1030 on Sat 19th april. cheers